Friday, February 12, 2010

YUM YUM

Do you have something that if you could have one last thing to eat you would choose? Mine; without a doubt, would be Wacky Cake. My mother use to make this for me and I just love it. For my birthday my girls get out my moms old cake pan and bake me a wacky cake.



This recipe comes from the depression when eggs were rationed. Housewives had to come up with ways to make things without eggs and they did a great job with this one. It brings back such happy memories that my moms recipe card (in her own handwriting) is framed in my kitchen.




Now that I have your mouth watering I will share the recipe.



3 cups flour

2 cups sugar

6 Tablespoons cocoa

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon baking soda



sift these items together 3 times...don't ask me why but do it or it won't turn out



add

1 and a half sticks of butter...melted

2 Tablespoons white vineger

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups cold water



mix together and pour into a pan that has been wiped down with Crisco and sprinkled with flour....we have tried using Pam but it does something funny to the cake.



bake for 40 to 50 min. at 350



cool and frost with chocolate frosting . Serve with a tall glass of milk and enjoy.



Do you have an old recipe that transports you back in time? If you do please share it.

2 comments:

  1. I remember wacky cake. I lost my recipe many years ago. Thanks for posting it. I thought my recipe had mayo in it though. Enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-my....I make that very cake...I grew up on it!!! Only we call it Crazy cake! YUM!!! moistest cake ever!!!

    ReplyDelete